Huevos rancheros are one of the easiest quick, healthy meal options in my playbook! Eggs are a great source of protein that have less environmental impact than many other animal proteins, plus they are inexpensive. The longest part of the recipe process is waiting for the oven to preheat!
I used fresh tomatillos, but feel free to substitute in tomatoes. The tomatillos simply add a nice subtle zesty flavor.
1 can diced zesty tomatoes
4-5 tomatillos, chopped
1 large zucchini, chopped
1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a cast iron skillet with coconut oil.
- Pour can of diced zesty tomatoes into a separate pan on low on the stove.
- Add chopped zucchini, bell pepper, and tomatillos to pan and increase to medium heat.
- Continue cooking veggie mixture on the stove for 5-7 minutes or until veggies are slightly tender.
- Pour tomato-veggie mixture into greased skillet.
- Made two slight indents in veggies, and then crack eggs into indents (this keeps eggs in one place so they don’t spread into edges).
- Place the skillet in the oven for 15-20min or until eggs do not jiggle when you shake the pan–feel free to take it out a few minutes early if you like runny yolks!
My dad even got a little crazy and topped his hues rancheros with some jalapeño cheddar popcorn! Do you ever try crazy toppings? What would you put on your huevos rancheros?
Find more meatless options in the Meatless Monday Link-Up hosted by Running On Happy!