I don’t know about you, but sometimes all I want are sweets–which is not exactly conducive to a healthy lifestyle. I believe that is moderation is certainly important, but I also love coming up with healthy alternative recipes. It brings me so much joy to develop a recipe that packs more nutrient value and still tastes amazing.
I came up with this salted caramel recipe recently after craving a warm cake late one evening.
-2 tbsp oat fiber
-2 tbsp coconut flour
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-1 egg (or 1.5 egg whites)
-Almond Milk or water, 3-7 tbsp
-Dash sea salt
-Dollop of whipped cream (optional)
- Combine oat fiber, coconut flour, baking powder, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Add in egg and 2 tbsp liquid and mix well.
- Slowly add in one tablespoon of liquid at a time until you reach cake-batter like consistency.
- Pour batter into a large greased ramekin and microwave on medium-high for 2-3 minutes or until the top of the cake is firm to the touch.
- Remove the cake from the microwave and pour on a generous amount of caramel syrup, a dash of sea salt (about 1/8 tsp), and a dollop of whipped cream.
- Enjoy your own mini piece of heaven!
What’s your favorite healthy alternative recipe?