It is insane that it is already December! I looked at the calendar last week and nearly fainted; where did the year go?! I have a really great feeling about the year to come, but 2018 flew by in what feels like an instant. This year has been FULL of big changes for me–some positive and some negative–but I am beyond grateful for all of the good that has come into my life. I love the holiday season because I love any excuse to give gifts–my love language is gift-giving (although I personally prefer to receive words of affirmation).
I often have a hard time thinking of gifts on short notice, so I tend to buy things throughout the year as I think of people. There have been years when I had all of my shopping done by October!
For the normal people out there who likely haven’t gotten their shopping done, here are a few of my top gifts for 2018:
- Tabio Socks: These are an amazing gift for both fitness fanatics or fashion-obsessed friends. I love my Tabio socks for pilates and barre classes especially, the signature run socks have great grip on the bottom and are super cute (my favorite color is lavender). Use code HANN20 for a discount when you order!
2. Quest Nutrition Bars: These make my list every year. Someone recently asked how I haven’t gotten tired of this brand after six years of eating their products. First off, I love all the flavor options and convenience of a healthy, satisfying snack on the go. Second, I love this brand. The company is based on the principles of positive psychology, self-improvement, and growth–all of which resonate with me.
3. ActivMotion Bar: I recently posted a full review of ActivMotion bars on the blog, but these are definitely making the gift guide as well! This is a great gift for your fit friend who already has all of the basic fitness products; it’s definitely a unique workout and is a great tool to improve balance!
4. Satin pillowcase: This is a nice gift for anyone you know who wants to add a bit of luxury to their bedtime routine (and who doesn’t?!).
5. Orb Sleep Complex: I’ve made so many people try this and everyone falls in love. It provides such a restful sleep without any heavy drugs–it’s an all natural mix of ingredients like melatonin and lavender oil that eases you to sleep with time-released B12 to help you wake up feeling refreshed.
When do you normally finish up buying gifts?
I have had one crazy week so I wanted to share a quick talk that felt relevant to me right now. In recent conversations with many of my friends, we discussed this feeling of being an imposter and feeling like we don’t belong in our jobs or academic programs–maybe we don’t feel smart enough, old enough, or experienced enough. Imposter syndrome can feel isolating, but the more you connect with friends and family and express your vulnerability, the less alone you’ll likely feel.
Do you struggle with imposter syndrome? Do you talk about it openly?
The new ActivMotion Glimpse Bar just came out in June so I was super excited to get the chance to try it out. The ActivMotion Bar is a unique product–it is a bar filled with rolling steel weights inside to promote functional fitness, strength, stability, and balance.
The regular bars are opaque and come in a range of weights from 3-18 lbs, which means these are a great addition to a workout no matter how fit you are.
I decided to go with the Glimpse bar–it’s actually clear through the middle so you can see the steel weights as they move. There are also three white ball bearings in the center of the bar that serve as a guide or “level”. I was intrigued by how it looks and was excited to see how it would impact my balance.
Glimpse bars come in 4.5lb sizes only, but many of the workouts include quite a few reps so a lower weight does not mean it’s easy! Luckily, each purchase comes with access to a number of instructional videos with full workouts. The exercises are not easy and the bar adds a new, exciting element the my workouts! Balance has never been a strong suit of mine, and these fitness routines are certainly pushing me to my limit. I love the Glimpse bar because watching the white ball bearings move back and forth really helps keep me attuned to the way my body is moving.
This is a great option for an at-home workout; I feel like I have outgrown a lot of my old go-to at-home workout options and have been looking for a new challenge so this bar is the perfect solution for me! This would make a great gift for any fitness fanatic friends you might have. It’s a unique present that will provide a fun new take on working out to improve balance!
BONUS: I have special access for you through the holiday! Use code “fitapproach25” for 25% off through the holidays ( the code is valid from now until January 7th!).
Have you heard of the ActivMotion Bar? How often do you focus on balance during a workout?