Traveling for the holidays is hard. It’s mass chaos everywhere; people are distracted, highways are packed, and airports are bustling! There are a few things I always do before traveling to minimize stress and anxiety, whether traveling by car or plane.
- I tend to randomly think of things I need to do before I leave or items I need to pack, often in the middle of the night or during class or work. I highly recommend taking 1 minute and writing it down on a piece of paper or make a note on your phone. Then right before you head out the door for your trip, go through the list and make sure you did it all!
- SNACKS! Nothing is worse than being stuck in the airport and hungry. Overpriced snacks or unhealthy snacks are both awful options (in my opinion…I am a cheap college student here 🙂 so I always make sure to pack some fruit, veggies, and of course a few questbars.
3. Stay hydrated! It is tempting to drink less so you don’t have to stop on a drive or get up during a flight, but staying hydrated keeps you feeling good the whole day! Planes dehydrate your skin (why your lips and face feel dry post-flight) and drinking plenty of water can keep your skin and body feeling good.
4. Treat travel time as “me-time.” Bring along a book you’ve been dying to read, a new CD, or a podcast you enjoy. Jam out, learn, or even sleep!
5. Pack everything the night before…except toiletries! Pack them as you use them in the morning–that way you remember everything you use on a daily basis.
Safe travels this holiday season!
Words..I have no words..I officially declare cardamom the most under-appreciated spice in my spice cabinet. Jem Raw Organics was kind enough to send me a few jars of their decadent, raw nut butters. You can seriously taste the quality; they are all silky smooth! I tried the Hazelnut Raw Cacao, Cinnamon Red Maca, Cashew Cardamom, and Superberry Maqui Camu. Their products are all gluten free and vegan and suit nearly every dietary restriction, other than nut-free (obviously).
I have been eating it by the spoonful…
On flax seed rice cakes….
With fresh fruit…
You name it! I definitely forgot how delicious cardamom was. These nut butters are delicious and the flavors stand out on their own–free of additives. I am planning some recipes with these guys and can’t wait to play with them more and let their flavors shine!
What spices do you think are the most under-appreciated?
I received a few Simple Girl products to review and I have been going through both bottles like crazy! This brand uses stevia instead of artificial sweeteners and donates to charitable organizations; how much more amazing can they get? As a small business, they really cater to the customer and my package came specially wrapped. They make dressings, sauce, and seasonings. I love the citrus ginger dressing on salads–it tastes fresh and has the perfect hint of lemon-y sweetness.
I have mainly been using the BBQ sauce for dipping, but it also makes a great dressing! Do not expect a sweet BBQ sauce when you order the Carolina Style sauce; it is on the spicy side–exactly how I like it 😉
BBQ sauce is literally going on everything. Roasted cabbage wedge all dolled up with some sauce!
Without further ado, here is the recipe for BBQ Cauliflower!
Preheat Oven to 400 degrees F.
Wash and cut up your head of fresh cauliflower (I used yellow cauliflower)
Spray baking sheet with coconut oil, or oil of choice
Lay cauliflower evenly on pan and toss with salt and pepper
Bake for about 20 minutes or until the florets begin to brown
After the cauliflower has cooled, place the florets in a bowl and toss with 3-4tbsp of Simple Girl Carolina Style BBQ sauce (or any BBQ sauce you have on hand)
Serve and enjoy!
If you want to buy some (and why wouldn’t you..?) here’s their site: http://www.simplegirl.com/
These super bites are so delicious and packed with healthy ingredients. They do contain sugar, but it is natural cane sugar and keeps the bites crunchy, slightly sweet, and crisp. Five of my friends tried them and gave ratings of 9/10 and called them “super filling.” Each pack comes with 2.5 servings so a little goes a long way. I don’t know that I will munch on these all the time, but they are great for an on-the-go satisfying snack! A great, convenient way to get some healthy fats, antioxidants, and protein.